Monday, January 23, 2012

Time to get serious.... this year I am going to do it...

Ok, I'm now in my forties, overweight, still try to be a weekend warrior, and I love food. I have been riding my bike and exercising quite a bit over the last year... and I'm pretty much in the same place I was a year ago. I am 224 pounds... this is tough, because I was always the skinny kid. Looking back I can see it happening. I ate out a ton more, and food became a friend, instead of a fuel. I do not want to live to eat anymore, I want to eat better to live better.

So Saturday I downloaded a Calorie Count app for my phone - I am going to try to watch my portion size and calories. I 'think' I ate well before - just too much. When you think of portions, I always think back to High School health class - your stomach is approximately the size of your fist. I was definitely eating too much. And as the economy went bad and everyone was watching their money, when we were going out to eat, I would sometimes pick food by the best deal for the dollar rather than best fuel for my body.

I'm posting this to be accountable. I know so many people struggle with it - and I hope that you can find something, no matter how small it is, from this that helps you.

To help my protions, about a week ago I actually started this, but I would spend some time preparing food for meals ahead of time. Cooking it if possible so that it just needs a microwave reheat to eat. This week I have continued it, but added the calorie count. One thing I got from my sister a while back was planning dinners out for the week. I found it does 2 things. #1 - saves you money when you go to the grocery because you know what you need to buy and not shopping for food there. And #2 lets me plan a healthy food (easy to calculate calorie). Sometimes this is hard to do, and other times I don't have enough days in the week for things I think of...lol.

I had my first calorie problem yesterday while riding my bike. I ate breakfast, mid morning snack, and lunch and headed in to ride the bike trainer for 3 hours. Well - 2 hours in I ran out of gas. I had no more energy... I couldn't turn the pedals over with barely any resistance on them. I did not eat enough before to complete it. I did eat a mini Clif Bar and a Clif Mojo bar during the ride.. but they just probably bandaided the situation. But I was done at 2 hours 26 mins... I had burnt over 1,000 calories. Way more than I had eaten all day. Lesson learned....

Ok here is a picture of the menu board we use...
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

And here is the frig... food precooked and packed, ready to go...
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I am losing weight already - my goal is to lose it without losing muscle....

Life is a Journey...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Fred! Very inspiring... going to do some cooking ahead from now on.. this will help me and Tom have healthier packed lunches!! Stay positive..!

    ReplyDelete